Hobart and Surrounds Tourism Directory
Tours and Adventures
Showing 1 Categories
Do you like the Tourism Industry in Hobart and Surrounds?
Tourist Attractions in and Around Hobart and Surrounds, Tasmania
Hobart, the capital city of Tasmania, offers a unique blend of captivating history and natural beauty. Located at the foothills of Mount Wellington and surrounded by the crystal clear waters of the River Derwent, Hobart is a destination that cannot be missed. In this article, we will explore the top tourist attractions in and around Hobart and Surrounds, categorized for your convenience.
History buffs will enjoy exploring the various historical attractions in Hobart. The city is home to numerous heritage buildings and sites, including:
- Port Arthur Historic Site: One of Australia's most significant historical sites, Port Arthur is a former convict settlement that is now a UNESCO World Heritage site. Visitors can explore the ruins, take a guided tour or a cruise around the area.
Contact details: Port Arthur, TAS 7182, Tel: +61 3 6251 2310
- Battery Point: A historic suburb located just a short walk from downtown Hobart, Battery Point is home to a variety of historic buildings dating back to the 1800s.
- Salamanca Market: Held every Saturday, this market is a fixture of Hobart's history. Visitors can browse the wares of over 300 stalls while enjoying live music and street performers.
Contact details: Salamanca Place, Hobart TAS 7000, Tel: +61 3 6238 2843
- Cascades Female Factory Historic Site: Another UNESCO World Heritage site, Cascades Female Factory is one of Australia's most significant convict women's sites. A guided tour is a must-do for anyone interested in Australia's early convict history.
Contact details: 16 Degraves St, South Hobart TAS 7004, Tel: +61 3 6233 6656
Hobart is unparalleled when it comes to natural beauty. The city and its surrounds offer numerous ways to get outdoors and enjoy the surrounding landscape:
- Mount Wellington: Ascend to the summit of Hobart's iconic mountain and take in panoramic views of the city and beyond. The drive up the mountain is an experience in itself, with numerous lookout points along the way.
Contact details: Pinnacle Rd, Hobart TAS, Tel: +61 3 6238 2176
- Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens: These gardens showcase Tasmania's diverse flora and fauna. Take a stroll through the gardens, visit the historic conservatory, or relax with a picnic on the lawns.
Contact details: Lower Domain Rd, Hobart TAS 7000, Tel: +61 3 6166 0451
- Bruny Island: A short ferry ride from Hobart, Bruny Island is home to rugged coastlines, pristine beaches, and abundant wildlife. Highlights include the Cape Bruny Lighthouse and the Neck Lookout, where you can spot fairy penguins.
Contact details: Ferry Rd, Kettering TAS 7155, Tel: +61 3 6271 4777
- Tasman National Park: Just an hour's drive from Hobart, this park is home to some of Tasmania's most dramatic scenery. Highlights include the Tasman Arch, Devil's Kitchen, and the Blowhole.
Contact details: Eaglehawk Neck, TAS 7179, Tel: +61 3 6250 3980
Hobart's cultural scene is thriving, with a variety of museums, galleries, and events to enjoy. Here are a few highlights:
- Museum of Old and New Art (MONA): Housed in a stunning underground space, MONA is one of Australia's most exciting museums. With over 2,000 works on display, including controversial pieces from owner David Walsh's private collection, it's a must-visit for anyone interested in contemporary art.
Contact details: 655 Main Rd, Berriedale TAS 7011, Tel: +61 3 6277 9900
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery: This museum is home to Tasmania's most significant collections, including everything from fine art to natural history specimens. The Kids' Zone is a highlight for families.
Contact details: Dunn Place, Hobart TAS 7000, Tel: +61 3 6165 7000
- Salamanca Arts Centre: This center is a hub for the arts, with numerous galleries showcasing local and international talent. Stop in for a show or workshop, or just to browse the current exhibitions.
Contact details: 77 Salamanca Pl, Hobart TAS 7000, Tel: +61 3 6234 8414
- Taste of Tasmania: Held every December-January, the Taste of Tasmania is a celebration of Tasmania's food and drink scene. Visitors can sample local produce from over 100 stalls and enjoy live entertainment.
Contact details: Princes Wharf 1, Castray Esplanade, Hobart TAS 7000
Hobart and Surrounds is a destination that offers a little something for everyone. From the historical attractions of Port Arthur and Battery Point to the natural beauty of Mount Wellington and Bruny Island, to the thriving cultural scene, there is no shortage of things to see and do in this vibrant city. So what are you waiting for? Start planning your trip today!
Hobart and Surrounds Tourism Articles